Home » Server Options » RAC & Failsafe » Basic questions regarding Shared Storage Device (Linux X86)
Basic questions regarding Shared Storage Device [message #290879] Wed, 02 January 2008 00:23 Go to next message
plofler
Hi all,

I have some very basic questions regarding shared storage hardware required for RAC.

We are following the following document to set up a test environment for RAC consisting of two nodes:

http://www.oracle.com/technology/pub/articles/hunter_rac10gr2_iscsi.html#8

My question is--do we really need a separate server to connect an external hard drive as mentioned in the doc.
Cant we connect this external hard drive to any one of our cluster nodes and configure it to be shared by all the nodes.

I simply don't understand the requirement of a separate storage server all together.Why cant a simple hard drive connected to one of the cluster nodes be used for shared storage.

Really Appreciate a response..

Thanks in advance.
Re: Basic questions regarding Shared Storage Device [message #295662 is a reply to message #290879] Wed, 23 January 2008 00:58 Go to previous message
vishym_68

Cant we connect this external hard drive to any one of our cluster nodes and configure it to be shared by all the nodes

If the Hard drive is physically connected to one of the Cluster nodes and is shared to the other nodes ,and by chance if the Node which is connected with the shared drive goes down , the other cluster nodes will not be able to access the shared drive.
Hence the shared storage devices need to have physical access paths to all of the Cluster nodes .
Hope this answers your query.
Previous Topic: cluster manager does not start on node 1
Next Topic: Why Oracle10g RAC cost much time to switch log?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 08:34:51 CDT 2024