Home » Infrastructure » Other Operating Systems » Migration of data from RMS files on OpenVMS to Oracle Database ( Oracle 10G on Unix)
Migration of data from RMS files on OpenVMS to Oracle Database [message #286568] Sat, 08 December 2007 05:34 Go to next message
wise_one
We are planning to migrate around 20 GB of data currently store in files in OpenVMS to Oracle 10 G on Unix. The data is aroung 7 million rows stored in 20 files. Records are added to files on a daily basis?

1. can this be done?
What would be the best approach for the same?
Re: Migration of data from RMS files on OpenVMS to Oracle Database [message #286590 is a reply to message #286568] Sat, 08 December 2007 09:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
Perhaps you'd want to read more about Oracle Transparent Gateway for RMS Administrator's Guide for hp OpenVMS; it describes the Oracle Transparent Gateway for RMS on HP OpenVMS, which enables Oracle client applications to access RMS data through Structured Query Language (SQL).

Part number is B14281-01; unfortunately, Book ID TGRMA is not found in the documentation library but you might do some extra research about it.
Re: Migration of data from RMS files on OpenVMS to Oracle Database [message #286591 is a reply to message #286568] Sat, 08 December 2007 11:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wise_one
Thanks for the reply Littlefoot. since this is a 1 time move would licensing for the Oracle gateway be an additional cost? . Also any thoughts on getting the data on VMS side into a delimited/fixed width file and then ftping the data to oracle server and using sqlldr to load the same?
Re: Migration of data from RMS files on OpenVMS to Oracle Database [message #286600 is a reply to message #286591] Sat, 08 December 2007 15:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
I agree; creating a CSV file and loading it into the Oracle database via SQL*Loader or use it as an external table (whichever you prefer) is the simplest way to do that, especially having in mind that this is one-time job.
Re: Migration of data from RMS files on OpenVMS to Oracle Database [message #286647 is a reply to message #286600] Sun, 09 December 2007 05:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wise_one
Hmmm. My problem is I do not know anything of VMS. I have doubts regarding.
1. Moving of files between the 2 systems.
2. Will there be any size limit
3. Character encoding types issue.

What things I need to look for and take care of? Is it feasible moving 20 GB of data. I heard somewhere that 20GB of data on VMS would amount to 10 times of data on Oracle.

Re: Migration of data from RMS files on OpenVMS to Oracle Database [message #286664 is a reply to message #286647] Sun, 09 December 2007 11:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
Quote:

We are planning to migrate ...
Did you talk to other members of your team? Does someone of them know VMS? If not, well, you're in a big trouble.

VMS supports FTP, so - that's how you'll move those files. You can do it manually (if you know how to do that) or via one of FTP clients.

File size limit? As far as I know, there's no such a limit within this protocol. A quick Google search says that people have successfully transfered 16 GB via FTP, so - I believe you should be able to do that as well.

Character encoding: I wouldn't know what to say; you never said there are different code pages involved. I'd suggest you to test a small data set and see how it behaves. If there's any problem, do not proceed until you fix it.

Database size of 200 GB is not a problem for Oracle (VMS's 20GB x 10, as you've said). I'm sorry, but I don't know anything about such a scaling, so - perhaps it is true, perhaps not. Maybe someone else knows more about the issue.
Re: Migration of data from RMS files on OpenVMS to Oracle Database [message #291349 is a reply to message #286664] Thu, 03 January 2008 23:41 Go to previous message
wise_one
Thanks again for your suggestions.

This is for a client of ours so we might have VMS expertise at the client side.
Previous Topic: EXP-00030 from MVS exp
Next Topic: Oracle terminates support for OS/390
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 05:51:55 CDT 2024