Home » Server Options » Streams & AQ » Oracle Streams
Oracle Streams [message #75628] Fri, 27 June 2003 22:03 Go to next message
Prashanth
Hi,

I am doing my masters and planning to do my OCP and get on board as a DBA (atleast Junior initially!!) My Query is :

1. What exactly are Oracle Streams
2. What's involved in setting up and Managing Oracle Streams

Would really be happy and greatful if anyone could reply to this query @ my email idfortekniks@hotmail.com

Regards,
Prashanth
Re: Oracle Streams [message #75630 is a reply to message #75628] Mon, 15 September 2003 13:27 Go to previous message
srinivas vadempudi
Oracle Streems

is data capturing tool
it reads the redo log files to capture the data ..it captures the chnaged data i.e if you have a source database and a target database or application which needs constant near realtime data from the source streems will constantly read redo logs and capture the chnages and pass it to staging ..in staging we can manuplate that data using rules and transformation logic and post the massaged data in to target application or database

its something like an ETL tool where ETL tools like informatica Ardent are much more advanced and expencive tools like streems and shareplex r reletivey cheap and easy to amintain and would achive basic replication data transformation requirements

hope this answers ur question remember strems wont support vershions of oracle before 8i ..shareplex does

srinivas
Previous Topic: PLS-00201: identifier 'SYS.DBMS_AQ' must be declared
Next Topic: Costs????
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 08:40:33 CDT 2024