Home » Developer & Programmer » Application Express, ORDS & MOD_PLSQL » Apex Dynamic Actions (Apex windows 7 )
Apex Dynamic Actions [message #598818] Thu, 17 October 2013 16:47 Go to next message
lakshman0145
Hi,
Can u please suggest me how to give dynamic actions for multiple columns
example :- suppose if i give dynamic actions to column Dname(department name)
then employees in that department should populate

i have tried but iam getting Values name1,name2---- in a single field
but have to get in each and every field followed by name1
name2
name3
like this

Thanks in advance,
Lakshman.

Re: Apex Dynamic Actions [message #598916 is a reply to message #598818] Sat, 19 October 2013 16:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
As far as I understood what you are trying to do, you are populating a tabular form with employees that belong to a certain department.

If that's so, I'd say that you are wrong - an interactive report is a much better choice. It allows you to filter data, perform grouping, certain calculations etc. in a matter of a few clicks.

If I'm wrong, please, describe exactly what you have (where are these items located? Which regions do they belong to? A page screenshot is welcome) and - above all - which problem are you trying to solve (not just "I want blabla" but why?.
Re: Apex Dynamic Actions [message #599171 is a reply to message #598916] Tue, 22 October 2013 13:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lakshman0145
Mr.Littlefoot,

i told it was an example and more over if the requirement is populating tabular form i will ask that only.
1) you didn't understand requirement
2) you are not having enough patience to solve issues
3) you will give much importance to criticize people than solving
i wasted 3 mins for typing this message.This was not the first time i was facing this problem with you.
icon8.gif  Re: Apex Dynamic Actions [message #599172 is a reply to message #599171] Tue, 22 October 2013 13:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
I didn't read Littlefoot's answers in this forum as I don't know anything in the subject but I know Littlefoot's patience in other forums (above all comparing to mine), so I think you are wrong to offend people who are trying to help you. Remember we do it for free, we do it during our rest time, we do it to help the Oracle community.
If you are not happy with our answers, feel free to hire a consultant to solve your problems.

Note: if we don't understand your question, this is YOUR fault not ours as you didn't correctly and clearly explain your problem.

[Updated on: Tue, 22 October 2013 13:30]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Apex Dynamic Actions [message #599173 is a reply to message #599171] Tue, 22 October 2013 13:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lalit Kumar B
lakshman0145 wrote on Tue, 22 October 2013 23:41

i wasted 3 mins for typing this message.This was not the first time i was facing this problem with you.

You are dealing with one of the finest members in the forum.
Re: Apex Dynamic Actions [message #599175 is a reply to message #599171] Tue, 22 October 2013 13:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
Oh well.

My previous message was based on information I managed to understand. Obviously, you meant something different and that's why I asked you to please describe it so that I would understand. I'd be happy to read it, only if you had enough patience to do that. Apparently, it is you who lost patience, but that's fine with me.

As of me criticizing you: what made you think so? Once again: I can't read your mind. There's nothing wrong in you posting something that I don't understand, and I see nothing wrong in me answering the best I could with the information and knowledge I have. This is a discussion forum; if you are lucky, you get then answer immediately. Otherwise, we'll have to discuss it some more. And here comes the "patience" part again.

Finally: 3 minutes ... I don't know why it took so long. Maybe you should learn how to type faster /forum/fa/3314/0/

OK, now back to reality.

You have a department name item - that I understand.

But you also have employee name items (3 of them: name1, name2 and name3). Is that all you have? What if department contains more than 3 items? How does that page look like? Is it
DEPARTMENT_NAME

NAME1
NAME2
NAME3
or
DEPARTMENT_NAME     NAME1     NAME2     NAME3
or something different? I can't see your screen, and I couldn't imagine it either - that's why I asked you to post a screenshot (but you don't want to do that).

Furthermore, I asked whether it was a tabular form, because it allows you to have kind of a master-detail form, department being a master and its employees detail. You said that it is not a tabular form.

OK, but master-detail you described looks much more like a report, not a form. That's why I suggested you to use an interactive report, but you don't want that either.

Therefore, I took some time and created sample page using Apex 4.2; schema I'm working with contains Scott's EMP and DEPT tables. The page looks like this:

/forum/fa/11177/0/

I set a PL/SQL dynamic action which fires when DEPTNO item is changed and fills EMPNO_1 and EMPNO_2 items with employee names that belong to that department and have MIN and MAX salaries within department, respectively.

Dynamic action code looks like this (avoiding too-many-rows with ROWNUM):
begin
    select e.ename 
    into :P2_ENAME_1
    from emp e
    where e.deptno = :P2_DEPTNO
      and e.sal = (select min(sal) from emp e1
                   where e1.deptno = e.deptno)
      and rownum = 1;

select e.ename 
    into :P2_ENAME_2
    from emp e
    where e.deptno = :P2_DEPTNO
      and e.sal = (select max(sal) from emp e1
                   where e1.deptno = e.deptno)
      and rownum = 1;
end;

Page item to submit was P2_DEPTNO; page items to return were P2_EMPNO_1 and P2_EMPNO_2.

Running the page, it seems that it *works*, but I have no idea whether you asked for that or not.

Anyway, I'll think twice before trying to answer your next question on this forum because I don't like your attitude at all (and I don't like discussing with people I don't like). I'm sure someone else will be happy to assist, so - best of luck (you'll need it)!

[EDIT: added Apex version and items to submit/return information]

[Updated on: Tue, 22 October 2013 14:24]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Apex Dynamic Actions [message #599318 is a reply to message #599171] Wed, 23 October 2013 11:10 Go to previous message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
lakshman0145 wrote on Tue, 22 October 2013 20:11

Mr.Littlefoot,
This was not the first time i was facing this problem with you.

I've had some time to spare so I checked "issues" you had with me previously. Here's what I found out: you seem to be piqued when you are asked questions, to explain what you meant, what you did and how.

Furthermore, you never EVER said "thank you" to anyone who ever replied to any of your questions so far.

All in all, you are nothing but a spoiled and rude person.
Previous Topic: Pound symbol in apex
Next Topic: How to add new label template to existing theme
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 16:16:08 CDT 2024